The Grassroots Writing Research Journal is a text produced each semester by the Writing Program. It is the primary text for ENG 10. Beginning in Fall 2012, it will also serve as the primary text for ENG 145. The title of the journal reflects our aspirations—to present writing research by different authors and in a wide range of different topics, forms, and media.
The journal solicits authors from among the students and faculty at Illinois State University as well as among communities beyond the university. We encourage authors to share not only what they’ve learned about writing, but how they learned it. Thus, each new volume brings together a diverse collection of articles that all enact some form of writing research from a variety of authors. We publish a new volume of the journal each semester. However, purchasing an issue also includes access to the articles published in previous editions.
The Grassroots Writing Research Archive includes pdf files of each entire volume as well as individual articles. Each volume list also includes abstracts, so you can check out which article you might want to read:
- Volume 1, 2010
- Volume 2.1, Fall 2011
- Volume 2.2, Spring 2012
- Volume 3.1, Fall 2012
- Volume 3.2 Abstracts and Article PDF’s
This handout discusses how instructors can use the Grassroots journal in English 101, 101.10, and 145 classes, including resources the editorial staff can provide and a list of articles organized according to topic/learning outcome:
- You can check out the GWRJ Editorial Style Guide for information regarding the format and style of your article for submission.
- You can read this Researching for the Grassroots Journal guide to explore the different kinds of research we’re interested in publishing.
- You can read Publishing_with_the GWRJ to get a better idea of some of the conventions for publication.
- If you are creating an article for the journal, and you are interviewing people or taking photographs, you’ll need to use our consent form. You can download it here: Grassroots_interview_image_Consent_form.
- If you have other questions about writing for the Grassroots journal, you can contact us at email@example.com.