About Spreading Roots: K-12 Outreach
Spreading Roots is an outreach project that focuses on working with elementary, middle, and high school teachers, and pre-service teachers interested in a genre studies/CHAT model for teaching writing, and writing tasks designed to promote a Writing Research identity for student. Our website (in general) provides a great many links that can be useful for this work — starting with our program learning outcomes and the resources connected there. The posts linked (below) to this section of our website are specific resources that may be useful for K-12 instructors interested in finding out more about our program.
There are some basic resources that can help instructors understand some of the basic concepts in our program:
- A Short Video on Cultural-Historical Activity Theory
- A Short Video on the concept of Uptake and Antecedent Knowledge
- A Short Video (created by one of our former ISU instructors) that can help explain activity theory
- A Short Video (created by one of our former ISU instructors) that can help to explain the concept of Uptake.
- A Powerpoint on How To Create Writing Researchers that offers an overview of our program and pedagogy.